land of the Sushwap title
 

Home

Secwepemc Land

The Secwepemc People

History

Legends

Secwepemc Language

Songs and Dances

For Assistance in
viewing this site.


Links

Resources

Secwepemc Timeline 1874 to 1918

Shuswap Indians, womans or Kloochmans Canoe race

The Potlach was banned, the first train arrived in Kamloops, the Roman Catholic Church takes over the Kamloops Industrial School, Chiefs travel to England to talk about land claims, and World War One, claims a whole generation of Canadians, including Indians from the Secwepemc Nation.

 

1874

Father Grandidier of Okanagan Mission wrote to the Victoria Standard regarding Secwepemc land grievances

1875

Provincial Commissioner of Indian Affairs met a number of Chiefs from the Interior at Kamloops and filed a petition to express their dissatisfaction with their land allotments.

1876 to 1908

The Indian Reserve Commission was set up to establish reserves.

1876

Archibald McKinlay was appointed by the Provincial Government to concede land from the Secwepemc (from 80 acres apportioned by the Federal Government to 20 acres)

1877

The Joint Reserve Commission visited Interior Indians including the Secwepemc, who are seriously considering joining forces with the Okanagans and Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce to go to war over the land issue.

1877

Secwepemc met with Joint Indian Reserve Commission to voice their land grievancesWhite people received 320 acres per family while Secwepemc were allotted 20 acres per family. The Secwepemc were short of pasturelands, arable lands and equipment to operate on their lands.

1878

The Joint Reserve Commission is dissolved because BC no longer wanted to participate. A federal commissioner continues subject to the approval of the BC Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works. The BC Supreme Court is to adjudicate disputes.

1884

The Potlatch is made illegal by an amendment to the Indian Act.

1885

First train into Kamloops

1890

Kamloops Industrial School is built and is run by the federal government.

1891

St. Joseph’s Mission Industrial School built at Williams Lake

1891-1929

Father LeJuene, a Catholic priest, is in Kamloops.

1894

The Roman Catholic church took over Kamloops Industrial School.

1906

Indian gathering in Kamloops. Chiefs, including, Basil Dick (Bonparte) and William Pierre (Shuswap) leave to Ottawa and England regarding land claims.

1907

Adams River Lumber company built dams on the Adams River destroying fish habitat

1910

Interior Indians met at Spences Bridge to present the Memorial Document to Sir Wilfred Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada. The tribes were the Secwpemc, N’lkapmux, Stt’atlimx, Okanagan and Tsilhqh’in.
Laurier Memorial

1913

Chief Parrish addressed the McKenna McBride Commission on behalf of the Neskonlith

1914-1918

World War One. Many Canadians perish including many Secwepemc, who still cannot vote.Veterans

1916

Many Secwepemc reserves were drastically reduced without their consent by the McKenna McBride Commission. The Commission ruled the size of existing reserves could be unilaterally reduced if Ottawa would obtain consent from the Natives, and that other lands would be added. Land to be cut off happened to be the most desirable for ranchers, farmers, developers, and town who wished to expand. The Natives withheld consent stating the lands to be added were almost worthless.

1916

The McKenna McBride Report is completed. 47,000 acres of reserve land is lost, land which the Indians affected felt was good arable land is lost. 80,000 acres of inferior quality are given in place.

1918

5,000 people living at Fort Kamloops

Back to History

 

Home
Contact Us
Sitemap

Copyright © Secwepemc Nation
Secwepemc Eagle Staff

About Us
FAQ
Notice of Copyright